List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Johan De Meersman Date:November 1 2011 3:00pm
Subject:Re: Reusing "ibdata1" space
View as plain text
----- Original Message -----
> From: "Kay Rozeboom [DAS]" <KAY.ROZEBOOM@stripped>
>
> I realize that this would not return the unused space to the
> operating system.  But would it return it to MySQL so that it could
> be re-used for subsequent inserts, instead of extending "ibdata1"
> further?

That should normally already happen. An occasional optimize table might help defragment
the tablespace, but space from properly deleted records should be reused anyway (save for
really small fragments).

I recommend you keep track of the innodb free tablespace for a while, and see how that
evolves - it should go relatively low before the tablespace expands on disk.

--
Bier met grenadyn
Is als mosterd by den wyn
          • Re: Reusing "ibdata1" spaceJohan De Meersman10 Nov
    • Re: Reusing "ibdata1" spaceNick Khamis9 Nov
  • Re: Reusing "ibdata1" spaceClaudio Nanni1 Nov
  • Re: Reusing "ibdata1" spaceJohan De Meersman1 Nov
    • RE: Reusing "ibdata1" spaceKay [DAS] Rozeboom22 Nov