List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Luis Motta Campos Date:October 31 2011 5:38pm
Subject:Re: add index to slave but not master
View as plain text
On 31 Oct 2011, at 08:46, Jeff Pang wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a question that, if I add the index to the table in slave, but
> don't do it in master, will it make problems?

Jeff,

I manage some big data here and this is my preferred strategy - shard the workload in
different mysql pools (behind a load balancer) and give each different pool a different,
custom-tailored index set optimized for the workload expected.

Be warned that if you promote a new master without ensuring index-compatibility with the
master workload you will (obviously) observe performance variations.

Good luck.
Cheers!
--
Luis Motta Campos
is a DBA, Foodie, and Photographer

--
Luis Motta Campos
is a DBA, Foodie, and Photographer

Thread
add index to slave but not masterJeff Pang31 Oct
  • Re: add index to slave but not masterAndrew Moore31 Oct
  • Re: add index to slave but not masterLuis Motta Campos31 Oct