List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Peter Brawley Date:October 20 2011 6:30pm
Subject:Re: What is wrong with this outer join?
View as plain text

On 10/20/2011 9:11 AM, Shawn Green (MySQL) wrote:
> On 10/19/2011 20:03, Dotan Cohen wrote:
>>
>> Thank you Shawn. I very much appreciate your help, and I also
>> appreciate your employer's initiative to have such a position
>> monitoring the mailing list. Is that an Oracle-created position, or
>> did it exist at Sun as well?
>>

> MySQL has always encouraged its employees (developers, support,
> documentation, marketing, ... anyone) to listen to and keep up with
> the community feedback channels. This philosophy has existed since the
> beginning of the lists and forums.
Shawn,

Yes indeed, and your determination to maintain the philosophy that's
characterised the MySQL project from its beginning is heartening.

Here's some feedback that's in the bailiwick of the MySQLWebmaster, but
sending it there brings no response and has no effect. The Newbie,
General and a few other MySQL fora have been overrun with spam for
weeks, to the point of unusability, without effective remediation.
What's going on?

PB

-----

>> If I'm already talking with the MySQL Principal Technical Support
>> Engineer then I have to suggest that the MySQL manual include more
>> example code. I'm a read-the-manual kind of guy and the C# / PHP
>> manuals are usually enough to get me unstuck. The MySQL and Java (only
>> mentioned as it is another Sun/Oracle product) manuals usually do not
>> provide code examples and I must google for them from unreliable blogs
>> and forum postings. I personally find concise code examples much more
>> intuitive and informative than full-format [{(someOption |
>> anotherOption), somethingHere} rarelyUsedFeature] which I might or
>> might not mentally parse. I can gladly make more specific suggestions
>> if Oracle sees the idea as actionable.
>>

> We do! First though, are you referencing the online documentation or
> the packaged documentation? The reason I ask is that the online
> documentation does have some user contributions and comments to go
> along with the text itself.  That outside content is not included with
> the packaged documentation.
>

>> I mention this as constructive criticism, take no offense! I'm only at
>> the beginning of my career and I don't claim to have the expertise or
>> experience to tell Oracle how to run their show, I only voice my
>> concern as a consumer of the product and one with an interest in
>> keeping the product and technology viable. I have nothing but
>> appreciation to Oracle for continuing to develop Java, MySQL and for
>> having the good sense to pass OOo onto the Apache foundation.
>>

> No offense taken. We are always trying to keep MySQL easy to install,
> easy to operate, and easy to learn. All feedback is valid.
>
> Regards,
Thread
What is wrong with this outer join?Dotan Cohen19 Oct
  • Re: What is wrong with this outer join?MySQL)19 Oct
    • Re: What is wrong with this outer join?Dotan Cohen19 Oct
      • Re: What is wrong with this outer join?MySQL)19 Oct
        • Re: What is wrong with this outer join?Dotan Cohen20 Oct
          • Re: What is wrong with this outer join?MySQL)20 Oct
            • Re: What is wrong with this outer join?Peter Brawley20 Oct
            • Re: What is wrong with this outer join?Dotan Cohen20 Oct
Re: What is wrong with this outer join?Dotan Cohen19 Oct
  • Re: What is wrong with this outer join?hsv20 Oct