List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Shawn Green (MySQL) Date:October 19 2011 7:30pm
Subject:Re: credit where due
View as plain text
On 10/19/2011 13:29, Michael Dykman wrote:
> While we have him online, I think we could all take a moment and be grateful
> for the contributions of Shawn Green.
>
> When I see the Oracle-bashing on this list, I am often reminded that we
> still have a hard-core MySQL developer who has survived the ride to Sun and
> again to Oracle who is still providing us with timely expert advice.
>
> Please, all of you, think twice before cutting up Oracle for their lack of
> MySQL support.  Shawn has been plying this list forever doling out sound
> advice and I have never heard him complain as we as we indirectly besmirch
> him over and and over.
>
> Thank you Shawn.

I am very humbled and honored. Thank you very kindly.

We, the old teams from MySQL, have fought very hard to maintain our
identities as the product itself has changed ownership. Some battles we
won, some we did not.  Our support and development teams are still
predominately intact since before the Sun acquisition. We have had to
learn how to use some new tools and adjust to different corporate
philosophies but our dedication to our customers or the quality of the
product has never waned.

Certainly there have needed to be adjustments along the way. Some of
them were painful (the loss of our old friend Eventum still haunts us
today) some were easy (like having essentially one tier of support
services for all customers).

I don't get as much time to spend monitoring this list as I used to. I
contributed to this list before I worked for MySQL and I will continue
being part of this community as long as MySQL is part of my life. If you
would like to join me and become part of the MySQL team in any capacity,
we are always scouting for new talent in all geographical areas. Please
do not post any responses or resumes to this list or send them to my
personal account. I can no longer accept them (it's one of those policy
changes I mentioned earlier). Instead please look for a listing that you
may be interested in at
http://www.oracle.com/us/corporate/careers/index.html
and start the process there.

Again, thank you very much.