List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Dotan Cohen Date:October 19 2011 5:27pm
Subject:How to select the id of 2+ records for given user?
View as plain text
Assuming a table such this:
| ID |  messageID  | userID |
|----|-------------|--------|
| 1  | 345         | 71     |
| 2  | 984         | 71     |
| 3  | 461         | 72     |
| 4  | 156         | 73     |
| 5  | 441         | 73     |
| 6  | 489         | 73     |
| 7  | 483         | 74     |
| 8  | 523         | 74     |
| 9  | 723         | 74     |

I need the second, third, fourth, etc messageID for each userID. So I
would get a results table such as:
| ID |  messageID  | userID |
|----|-------------|--------|
| 2  | 984         | 71     |
| 5  | 441         | 73     |
| 6  | 489         | 73     |
| 7  | 483         | 74     |
| 9  | 723         | 74     |

I've tried playing with count and group by and limit, but I've not
found a solution. I can easily get all the rows and then remove the
rows that I don't need in PHP, but I'd still like to know if an
all-MySQL solution is possible.

Thanks!

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il
http://what-is-what.com
Thread
How to select the id of 2+ records for given user?Dotan Cohen19 Oct
  • Re: How to select the id of 2+ records for given user?Michael Dykman19 Oct
    • Re: How to select the id of 2+ records for given user?Derek Downey19 Oct
      • Re: How to select the id of 2+ records for given user?Basil Daoust20 Oct
        • Re: How to select the id of 2+ records for given user?Derek Downey20 Oct
          • Re: How to select the id of 2+ records for given user?Dotan Cohen20 Oct
        • Re: How to select the id of 2+ records for given user?Dotan Cohen20 Oct
        • Re: How to select the id of 2+ records for given user?hsv20 Oct
          • Re: How to select the id of 2+ records for given user?Dotan Cohen21 Oct