List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Johan De Meersman Date:October 18 2011 6:02am
Subject:Re: Synchronize two mysql servers (single user, only one server (but not both) can be changed at any given time)
View as plain text
----- Original Message -----
> From: "Peng Yu" <pengyu.ut@stripped>
>
> Suppose I have two servers (one on mac and one on ubuntu), at any
> time I only change one server but not both servers. After I have done
>
> I think that probably it is OK to synchronize these two servers at
> the database file level using something like unison. However, this will

It's not generally a good idea to copy database files across platforms, let alone possibly
different versions of the mysql server.

You probably want to set up master-master replication, which should work fine across
platforms. If you are sure that you'll never change the (same) data on both sides
concurrently, there is pretty much nothing that can go wrong.

Have a look at the online documentation at mysql.com, it should be your first stop for
everything :-)

--
Bier met grenadyn