List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Matthias Pigulla Date:April 22 1999 6:43pm
Subject:Re: Ballpark performance.
View as plain text
David Sklar wrote:
> This answer is as admittedly rough as your question admittedly is, but
> dual-proc Pentium II with 512M ram should be able to handle that query mix a
> few hundred times a second, no problem.

> One of my 2xP-II w/512M db server (running linux) is currently:

We're running MySQL as web site backends, with about 40 queries/second
at peak times. The system is Linux 2.2 w. 2 x PII 400, 256MB RAM.

At those peaks, the system becomes almost unusable. (I have to admit we
have a higher percentage of updates, for we're counting page impressions
in the database. Maybe there are also some problems with large joins
that have to be performed in order to have count()s.)

Now, I'm curious what sort of HDD subsystem you're using. We're running
(don't hit me for that) a RAID5 UW SCSI system with 5 HDDs. How much
performance could I gain setting up a RAID1-0 (striping over mirrors)
array with 4 HDDs, dedicated for the mysql tree?

Matthias
--
   w e b f a c t o r y | matthias pigulla

      am wichelshof 10   fon 0228-9636949
      53111 bonn         fax 0228- 655656
      www.webfactory.de  mp@stripped
Thread
Ballpark performance.Brian Bray22 Apr
  • Re: Ballpark performance.Sasha Pachev22 Apr
  • Re: Ballpark performance.Daniel Koch22 Apr
RE: Ballpark performance.tcobb22 Apr
Re: Ballpark performance.(David Sklar)22 Apr
Re: Ballpark performance.Matthias Pigulla22 Apr
Re: Ballpark performance.(David Sklar)23 Apr
Re: Ballpark performance.Derick H Siddoway23 Apr