List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Jan Steinman Date:October 2 2011 6:31am
Subject:Re: Quantity of time from difference of two Datetime values?
View as plain text
Thanks, Hank!

I figured it was something like that, but couldn't see any clear documentation on the
Oracle reference page on date/time functions.

On Sep 30, 2011, at 8:22 PM, Hank wrote:

> n Fri, Sep 30, 2011 at 11:08 PM, Jan Steinman <Jan@stripped> wrote:
>> Okay, I've reviewed the online man page for date and time functions, and I've
> played with several likely candidates, and I am still having trouble subtracting two
> arbitrary Datetimes to get something that is useful. A simple subtraction yields the least
> useful thing possible: a modulo-100 difference of modulo-60 quantities. Other functions
> yield the proper answer, but not for a quantity of time that rolls over midnight, etc.
>>
>> Surely, there are tons of payroll apps that subtract the punch-out from the
> punch-in to come up with a quantity of time?
>>
>> What is YOUR favourite way of coming up with a quantity of time as the difference
> between two arbitrary Datetimes? Did I overlook something simple? Do I need to convert the
> two to scalar integers first?
>

> See the unix_timestamp() function.  Converts date/times to a scalar
> integer of the number of seconds since the Unix Epoch.

Thread
Quantity of time from difference of two Datetime values?Jan Steinman1 Oct
  • Re: Quantity of time from difference of two Datetime values?Hank1 Oct
    • Re: Quantity of time from difference of two Datetime values?Jan Steinman2 Oct
  • Re: Quantity of time from difference of two Datetime values?hsv1 Oct