List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Hank Date:October 1 2011 3:22am
Subject:Re: Quantity of time from difference of two Datetime values?
View as plain text
n Fri, Sep 30, 2011 at 11:08 PM, Jan Steinman <Jan@stripped> wrote:
> Okay, I've reviewed the online man page for date and time functions, and I've played
> with several likely candidates, and I am still having trouble subtracting two arbitrary
> Datetimes to get something that is useful. A simple subtraction yields the least useful
> thing possible: a modulo-100 difference of modulo-60 quantities. Other functions yield the
> proper answer, but not for a quantity of time that rolls over midnight, etc.
>
> Surely, there are tons of payroll apps that subtract the punch-out from the punch-in
> to come up with a quantity of time?
>
> What is YOUR favourite way of coming up with a quantity of time as the difference
> between two arbitrary Datetimes? Did I overlook something simple? Do I need to convert the
> two to scalar integers first?

See the unix_timestamp() function.  Converts date/times to a scalar
integer of the number of seconds since the Unix Epoch.
Thread
Quantity of time from difference of two Datetime values?Jan Steinman1 Oct
  • Re: Quantity of time from difference of two Datetime values?Hank1 Oct
    • Re: Quantity of time from difference of two Datetime values?Jan Steinman2 Oct
  • Re: Quantity of time from difference of two Datetime values?hsv1 Oct