List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Jan Steinman Date:October 1 2011 3:08am
Subject:Quantity of time from difference of two Datetime values?
View as plain text
Okay, I've reviewed the online man page for date and time functions, and I've played with
several likely candidates, and I am still having trouble subtracting two arbitrary
Datetimes to get something that is useful. A simple subtraction yields the least useful
thing possible: a modulo-100 difference of modulo-60 quantities. Other functions yield
the proper answer, but not for a quantity of time that rolls over midnight, etc.

Surely, there are tons of payroll apps that subtract the punch-out from the punch-in to
come up with a quantity of time?

What is YOUR favourite way of coming up with a quantity of time as the difference between
two arbitrary Datetimes? Did I overlook something simple? Do I need to convert the two to
scalar integers first?

Thread
Quantity of time from difference of two Datetime values?Jan Steinman1 Oct
  • Re: Quantity of time from difference of two Datetime values?Hank1 Oct
    • Re: Quantity of time from difference of two Datetime values?Jan Steinman2 Oct
  • Re: Quantity of time from difference of two Datetime values?hsv1 Oct