List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Jim Moseby Date:September 29 2011 2:12pm
Subject:SLOW performance over network
View as plain text
mysql  Ver 14.12 Distrib 5.0.51a, for debian-linux-gnu (i486) using readline 5.2

Strange, strange problem.

Everything was fine yesterday morning, then all of a sudden any query over the network
takes a REALLY long time to return.  If I log in at the server console, every query is
snappy-fast.  There had been no changes to clients or server when this happened.  All
other networking services on the machine seem to be fine.  Processors are between 0-3%
utilization, disk is at 8% utilization.

Server runs apache as well. There are many php pages on this web server that access the
database, and display the results, all snappy-fast as usual.

I still use the old MySQL Administrator GUI on my windows box.  A simple 'select * from
tablename'  that would return only three records takes just over a minute to return
(although it says '3 records returned in 0.0086 seconds' at the bottom).  I have many
ODBC clients accessing this server as well, they all have slowness problems too.

I'm stumped.  What could possibly be causing this issue?

Thanks for any ideas!

Jim

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:  This message is directed to and is for the use of the above-noted
addressee only, and its contents may be legally privileged or confidential.  If the reader
of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any
distribution, dissemination, or copy of this message is strictly prohibited.  If you have
received this message in error, please delete it immediately and notify the sender.  This
message is not intended to be an electronic signature nor to constitute an agreement of
any kind under applicable law unless otherwise expressly indicated herein.

Thread
SLOW performance over networkJim Moseby29 Sep
  • Re: SLOW performance over networkTodd Lyons29 Sep
    • Re: SLOW performance over networkJim Moseby29 Sep
      • Re: SLOW performance over networkJohnny Withers30 Sep