List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Hank Date:September 19 2011 1:00am
Subject:Re: Quotes around INSERT and SELECT statements' arguments from the
mysql CLI and PHP
View as plain text
On Sun, Sep 18, 2011 at 12:28 PM, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen@stripped> wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 18, 2011 at 17:44, Brandon Phelps <bphelps@stripped> wrote:
> > Personally I don't use any quotes for the numeric types, and single
> quotes
> > for everything else.  Ie:
> >

> Thanks, Brandon. I understand then that quote type is a matter of
> taste. I always use double quotes in PHP and I've only recently
> started putting ticks around table and column names. I'll stick to
> your convention of no quotes around numerics and single quotes around
> everything else.

I agree with Brandon's suggestions, I would just add when using numeric
types in PHP statements where you have a variable replacement, for instance:

$sql="INSERT into table VALUES ('$id','$val')";

where $id is a numeric variable in PHP and a numeric field in the table,
I'll include the $id in single quotes in the PHP statement, so even if the
value of $id is null, alpha, or invalid (not numeric) it does not generate a
mysql syntax error. Otherwise, without the single quotes, the statement
would be:

INSERT into table VALUES (,'');

 which would cause a syntax error.  If you include the single quotes, it
becomes:

INSERT into table VALUES ('','')

which won't cause a syntax error, but might cause some logic errors in the
database.  The choice is yours.

Thread
Quotes around INSERT and SELECT statements' arguments from the mysqlCLI and PHPDotan Cohen18 Sep
  • Re: Quotes around INSERT and SELECT statements' arguments from themysql CLI and PHPBrandon Phelps18 Sep
    • Re: Quotes around INSERT and SELECT statements' arguments from themysql CLI and PHPDotan Cohen18 Sep
      • Re: Quotes around INSERT and SELECT statements' arguments from themysql CLI and PHPHank19 Sep
        • Re: Quotes around INSERT and SELECT statements' arguments from themysql CLI and PHPReindl Harald19 Sep
          • Re: Quotes around INSERT and SELECT statements' arguments from themysql CLI and PHPDotan Cohen19 Sep
          • Re: Quotes around INSERT and SELECT statements' arguments from themysql CLI and PHPHank19 Sep
            • Re: Quotes around INSERT and SELECT statements' arguments from themysql CLI and PHPReindl Harald19 Sep
              • Re: Quotes around INSERT and SELECT statements' arguments from themysql CLI and PHPDotan Cohen19 Sep
                • Re: Quotes around INSERT and SELECT statements' arguments from themysql CLI and PHPHank20 Sep
                  • Re: Quotes around INSERT and SELECT statements' arguments from themysql CLI and PHPDotan Cohen20 Sep
                    • Re: Quotes around INSERT and SELECT statements' arguments from themysql CLI and PHPReindl Harald20 Sep