List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Carsten Pedersen Date:September 15 2011 12:57pm
Subject:Re: Questions about Mysqldump
View as plain text
On 15-09-2011 10:31, Chris Tate-Davies wrote:
> Adarsh,
>
> 1)
>
> When restoring a mysqldump you have the option of which database to
> restore.
>
> mysql database1 < backup.sql

Admittedly, it's been a few years since I last used mysqldump, but I
suspect that it will contain USE commands - as such, it will restore to
whatever database data was dumped from.

You'll want to have "--one-database" on the cmd line too.

> 2)
>
> You might be able to use the --ignore-table command. I'm not sure if
> this would work
>
> mysqldump --all-databases -q --single-transaction
> --ignore-table=databasetoignore.* | gzip >
> /media/disk-1/Server11_MysqlBackup_15September2011/mysql_15sep2011backup.sql.gz

or create a short script that asks mysql> for all databases, greps away
those you don't want to dump, and runs mysqldump on the rest.

/ Carsten

> 3)
>
> The docs are here for mysqldump, might be worth a read:
>
> http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/mysqldump.html
>

> HTH, Chris
>

> On 15/09/11 06:29, Adarsh Sharma wrote:
>> Dear all,
>>
>> Today i backup my all databases (25) by using the below command :-
>>
>> mysqldump --all-databases -q --single-transaction | gzip >
>> /media/disk-1/Server11_MysqlBackup_15September2011/mysql_15sep2011backup.sql.gz
>>

>> Now I have some doubts or problems that I need to handle in future :
>>
>> 1. Is there any option in restore command ( I use mysql < backup.sql )
>> to store only specific 1 or 2 databases out of this big backup file.
>> 2. While taking mysqldump of all databases , is there any way to leave
>> specific databases , I know there is --databases option , but we have
>> to name other 23 databases then.
>> 3. What are the settings that are need to changed in my.cnf to make
>> backup & restore faster.
>>

>> Thanks

Thread
Questions about MysqldumpAdarsh Sharma15 Sep
  • Re: Questions about MysqldumpChris Tate-Davies15 Sep
    • Re: Questions about MysqldumpCarsten Pedersen15 Sep
      • Re: Questions about MysqldumpAnanda Kumar15 Sep