List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Reindl Harald Date:September 9 2011 9:18am
Subject:Re: running a duplicate database
View as plain text

Am 09.09.2011 11:09, schrieb Dave Dyer:
> Is there a halfway house between a single database and a full master-slave setup?
>
> I have a database with one "piggish" table, and I'd like to direct queries that
> search the pig to a duplicate database, where it won't affect all the routine traffic.
>
> I could definitely do this by setting up a slave server, but for my purposes it would
> be just as effective, and lots easier, if mysql could automatically maintain a duplicate
> of the database.  Presumably this would work internally like an internal auto-slave, with
> a binary log of changes to the master database self-consumed to maintain the duplicate.
>
> As a bonus, I could backup the duplicate instead of the master, so that won't affect
> the routine traffic either.

you can run as many slaves on the same machine as you want by
using a different port for all instances and stop/backup/start
one of them per script - doing this since years

it makes no sense "maintain a duplicate of the database"for backups
becasue mysqld have to be stooped for effective rsync-backups which
are much faster as dumps and here are we again at the point using
a slave on a different port

running a duplicate databaseDave Dyer9 Sep
Re: running a duplicate databaseReindl Harald9 Sep
  • Re: running a duplicate databaseRik Wasmus9 Sep