List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Jerry Schwartz Date:September 1 2011 7:14pm
Subject:RE: locked non-existent row
View as plain text
>> The ability to lock non-existent records is critical.
>
>I concur, although this is just a transaction consisting of 1 statement :).
>--
[JS] As the Three Musketeers used to say, "One for all and all for one!"

Peter, I couldn't even //understand// that paragraph about key gaps. The
document writers might have assumed that this aspect of locking was universal
and well known, and didn't think it needed explanation.

As for MS SQL Server, I would be dumbfounded if it worked differently; but
I've been dumbfounded before by software design.

My standard answer for "Why does it work that way?" is "I am not a mental
health professional, nor do I play one on TV."

Regards,

Jerry Schwartz
Global Information Incorporated
195 Farmington Ave.
Farmington, CT 06032

860.674.8796 / FAX: 860.674.8341
E-mail: jerry@stripped
Web site: www.giiresearch.com

Thread
locked non-existent rowPeter Brawley31 Aug
  • Re: locked non-existent rowRik Wasmus31 Aug
    • Re: locked non-existent rowPeter Brawley31 Aug
      • Re: locked non-existent rowRik Wasmus | GRIB1 Sep
      • RE: locked non-existent rowJerry Schwartz1 Sep
        • Re: locked non-existent rowRik Wasmus1 Sep
          • Re: locked non-existent rowPeter Brawley1 Sep
          • RE: locked non-existent rowJerry Schwartz1 Sep
        • Re: locked non-existent rowPeter Brawley2 Sep
  • Re: locked non-existent rowJochem van Dieten2 Sep
    • Re: locked non-existent rowPeter Brawley2 Sep