List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Jerry Schwartz Date:September 1 2011 2:06pm
Subject:RE: locked non-existent row
View as plain text

[JS] Forgive my ignorance, but I thought that was standard behavior for a row-
or row-range lock (not just MySQL) in any DBMS that supported row locking.
(Back when these things were first being invented, one term was "predicate
locking.") The general idea was that you are locking rows that meet certain
criteria, whether any or all of them exist or not. You're locking not only the
existence, but the potential existence, of those rows.

I would expect it to apply not only to keys, but to any set. For example,

SELECT * FROM `t` WHERE `t`.`x` < 3 FOR UPDATE;

should lock all rows where `t`.`x` < 3 for update, insertion, or deletion --
regardless of whether or not `x` is a key. Otherwise you have no way of
knowing who wins.

The ability to lock non-existent records is critical.

Try it, you'll see.

Regards,

Jerry Schwartz
Global Information Incorporated
195 Farmington Ave.
Farmington, CT 06032

860.674.8796 / FAX: 860.674.8341
E-mail: jerry@stripped
Web site: www.giiresearch.com

Thread
locked non-existent rowPeter Brawley31 Aug
  • Re: locked non-existent rowRik Wasmus31 Aug
    • Re: locked non-existent rowPeter Brawley31 Aug
      • Re: locked non-existent rowRik Wasmus | GRIB1 Sep
      • RE: locked non-existent rowJerry Schwartz1 Sep
        • Re: locked non-existent rowRik Wasmus1 Sep
          • Re: locked non-existent rowPeter Brawley1 Sep
          • RE: locked non-existent rowJerry Schwartz1 Sep
        • Re: locked non-existent rowPeter Brawley2 Sep
  • Re: locked non-existent rowJochem van Dieten2 Sep
    • Re: locked non-existent rowPeter Brawley2 Sep