List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Elton Hughes Date:April 22 1999 4:24pm
Subject:Re: searching two tables
View as plain text
Daniel wrote:

>A Basic question:
>I need to search though two tables for a match.
>I don't need to search for a match between the two tables.
>something like
>select bar from table_1, table_2 where a='foo';
>I know I need to make an alias table to combine the two tables into one,
>and then select from the combined table, but I do not know how.

Hi Daniel,

I am new to MySQL, but am experienced with Informix and SQL. I am
assuming that you want to know the value of 'bar' in either table if
either table_1.a or table_2.a has a value of 'foo'.

In short, you cannot do this as a single statement. In your select
statement, bar will need to be defined/declared to be a part of one table
or another. Otherwise you will receive an 'ambiguous field' error
message. SQL will want you to be a little more specific about what field
you want to be selected. You can do this by changing your select to be, But this still does not solve the problem,
because in the 'where' statement you must be specific once again. Which
field 'a', from table_1 or table_2?

I would use two separate statements to solve this problem, assuming I
understand your problem.

I hope this helps.

Elton Hughes                               505 W. Olive Ave. Suite 550
NOVA Private Industry Council                      Sunnyvale, CA 94086                            Phone: 408-730-7232

searching two tablesDaniel Bondurant22 Apr
Re: searching two tablesElton Hughes22 Apr