List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Shawn Green (MySQL) Date:August 25 2011 12:55pm
Subject:Re: Reg...My Hung MYSQL instance
View as plain text
Hello Shafi,

On 8/25/2011 02:02, Shafi AHMED wrote:
> Thank you everyone who have responded back...
> The issue is fixed now after increasing the max connections param

I disagree. I believe you only reduced the symptom of the problem. The
real problem was you had too many open connections.  The solution is to
figure out why each of your connections had been open for so long and
why you needed so many.

* Were those idle connections sitting around doing nothing? - close them
* Were they taking forever to finish their business? - write better
queries or improve your data structures. Then close them.

Allowing more connections to be made at one time can only push your
system harder. Each connection requires some resources to check its
status. There must be buffers for sending and receiving data. Also, if
there are any connection-specific MySQL objects created on a connection
that never closes, then those objects will continue to take up resources
as well (user variables, prepared statements, temporary tables) .

Basically, you need to get your connections under control in order to
solve your problem. Raising the limit was probably a temporary fix, at
best.

--
Shawn Green
Office: Blountville, TN
Thread
Best Way to store Hierarchical Data in MysqlAdarsh Sharma19 Aug
  • Re: Best Way to store Hierarchical Data in MysqlRik Wasmus19 Aug
    • Reg...My Hung MYSQL instance Shafi AHMED23 Aug
  • Re: Best Way to store Hierarchical Data in MysqlPeter Brawley19 Aug
Re: Best Way to store Hierarchical Data in MysqlAdarsh Sharma19 Aug
Re: Reg...My Hung MYSQL instanceAndrew Moore23 Aug
  • Re: Reg...My Hung MYSQL instanceDhaval Jaiswal23 Aug
  • Re: Reg...My Hung MYSQL instanceSuresh Kuna23 Aug
    • Re: Reg...My Hung MYSQL instanceJohan De Meersman23 Aug
      • RE: Reg...My Hung MYSQL instanceShafi AHMED25 Aug
Re: Reg...My Hung MYSQL instanceJohan De Meersman25 Aug
  • RE: Reg...My Hung MYSQL instanceShafi AHMED25 Aug
Re: Reg...My Hung MYSQL instanceMySQL)25 Aug