List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Mike Diehl Date:August 8 2011 6:13am
Subject:Re: Hungarian Notation [Was Re: Too many aliases]
View as plain text
On Saturday 06 August 2011 10:58:43 am Jan Steinman wrote:
> > From: Johnny Withers <johnny@stripped>
> >
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hungarian_notation

Well, I can see this being useful in assembly language, or strongly-typed,
non-OO languages.  But I was asking specifically about SQL!

When will this EVER make sense:?

select * from intCustomers;

We know from context that customers is a table and it makes no sense at all to
prefix a type to it in order to make the obvious more clear.

I guess we could have:

select * from viewCustomers;
or
select * from tblCustomers:

But really?

My personal convention is that table names are plural.  Foreign indexes have
the table name as a prefix.  For example.

create table customers (
	id			integer, index.
	companies_id	integer,
	name		varchar(20)
);

Obviously, companies_id is a reference to the id field in a table called
companies.

Just my $.02, but any comments are welcome.

--

Take care and have fun,
Mike Diehl.