List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:(Hal Date:August 4 2011 12:25pm
Subject:Re: Too many aliases
View as plain text
>>>> 2011/08/03 12:46 +0200, Rik Wasmus >>>>
But the
main thing is it helps to distinguish tables  in joins having the same table
more then once (and of course results from subqueries etc.):

SELECT first.*
FROM tablename first
LEFT JOIN   tablename second
   ON    first.some_id = second.some_id
   AND first.id != second.id
WHERE second.id IS NULL
<<<<<<<<
Well, yes, here it is needful. But it seems to me from most of the examples that people
here post, that they have the idea that it is the style always to use one-letter aliases,
whether it is helpful or not.

Now I do not do this, but I often see examples where a field for one purpose has in one
table one name, and in another table another, slightly different, name, and then, too, I
see alias used, although, in this case, no table name at all is needed. (I like to use
the same field name in all tables where it has the same function.)

Thread
Which is betterAdarsh Sharma2 Aug
  • RE: Which is betterShafi AHMED2 Aug
  • Too many aliaseshsv2 Aug
    • Re: Too many aliasesRik Wasmus3 Aug
      • RE: Too many aliasesDavid Lerer3 Aug
        • RE: Too many aliasesshawn wilson3 Aug
        • RE: Too many aliasesJerry Schwartz4 Aug
      • Re: Too many aliaseshsv4 Aug
        • RE: Too many aliasesDavid Lerer4 Aug
          • Re: Too many aliasesMike Diehl4 Aug
            • Re: Too many aliasesJohnny Withers4 Aug
              • Re: Too many aliaseshsv6 Aug
                • Re: Too many aliasesJohnny Withers7 Aug
  • Re: Which is betterMySQL)2 Aug
    • RE: Which is betterDavid Lerer2 Aug
Re: Which is betterPrabhat Kumar2 Aug