List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Rik Wasmus Date:August 3 2011 10:46am
Subject:Re: Too many aliases
View as plain text

> select p.* from table A p, B q where p.id=q.id
>
> or
>
> select p.* from table B q , A p where q.id=p.id
> <<<<<<<<
> Why do people constantly change table names for queries, although, as here,
> it gain them nothing? It often makes for less clarity (for which table is
> this an alias???).

Depens on your table names. I rather like being able to give a short
description rather then long table names if someone decided that as a
tablename. I doubt your example with already short tablenames is one from real
life, but if you saw someone doing it would indeed be a waste of time. But the
main thing is it helps to distinguish tables  in joins having the same table
more then once (and of course results from subqueries etc.):

SELECT first.*
FROM tablename first
LEFT JOIN   tablename second
   ON    first.some_id = second.some_id
   AND first.id != second.id
WHERE second.id IS NULL
--
Rik Wasmus
Thread
Which is betterAdarsh Sharma2 Aug
  • RE: Which is betterShafi AHMED2 Aug
  • Too many aliaseshsv2 Aug
    • Re: Too many aliasesRik Wasmus3 Aug
      • RE: Too many aliasesDavid Lerer3 Aug
        • RE: Too many aliasesshawn wilson3 Aug
        • RE: Too many aliasesJerry Schwartz4 Aug
      • Re: Too many aliaseshsv4 Aug
        • RE: Too many aliasesDavid Lerer4 Aug
          • Re: Too many aliasesMike Diehl4 Aug
            • Re: Too many aliasesJohnny Withers4 Aug
              • Re: Too many aliaseshsv6 Aug
                • Re: Too many aliasesJohnny Withers7 Aug
  • Re: Which is betterMySQL)2 Aug
    • RE: Which is betterDavid Lerer2 Aug
Re: Which is betterPrabhat Kumar2 Aug