List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:doug Date:July 31 2011 3:38pm
Subject:granting file privileges
View as plain text
I have both a theory question and a question on implementation of privileges.
First theory. I have been using:

    grant all privileges on db-name.* to user@localhost
       identified by 'password';

Because I blunder about as root I never was impacted by 'file' being a global
permission. As 'load infile' seems (to me) to be equivalant to 'insert' I do not
see the reason for this. If its just a historical thing, so be it, but IMO it
makes little sense that a user could create and/or delete a table but to import
data he is required to convert a csv file to 'insert value' statements.

My implementation question is about specifying the user. Apparently the
following are different:

    1) user@localhost
    2) 'user@localhost'
    3) 'user'@'localhost'

I have not tested all this, but I did grant file privileges to #1 but could not
use them logging into with 'mysql -u doug@localhost sysadmin' ('doug' being
setup without a password).

The question is which form should be used and why are they different as all are
accepted without error and all add entries for the users and db tables.

_____
Douglas Denault
http://www.safeport.com
doug@stripped
Voice: 301-217-9220
   Fax: 301-217-9277
Thread
granting file privilegesdoug31 Jul
  • Re: granting file privilegesClaudio Nanni31 Jul
    • Re: granting file privilegesdoug31 Jul