List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Shawn Green (MySQL) Date:July 22 2011 9:02pm
Subject:Re: MySQL refusing to accept passwords
View as plain text
On 7/21/2011 22:45, Tim Thorburn wrote:
> Hello,
>
> For those keeping score, this will be the second time in the past few
> months I've come upon this problem. To recap, this is happening on a
> development laptop running Win7 64-bit Ultimate and MySQL 5.5.13. This
> morning, all was working well. This evening, I launched MySQL Workbench
> 5.2.34 CE to work on a table. When I attempt to access the server from
> within Workbench, I'm now prompted with a window asking for my password.
> Of course, my password is not accepted when I enter it - I'm presented
> with error #2000.
>
> Just to confirm, mysql --version returns:
> mysql Ver 14.14 Distrib 5.5.13, for Win64 (x86)
>
> This is not an upgrade, after my last mishap, I once again formatted the
> laptop with a fresh install of Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit as well as
> MySQL 5.5.13. I've begun digging through bugs.mysql.com, but I'm not
> seeing any standing out. I should point out that this problem also
> breaks any sites running on this dev laptop as all passwords are no
> longer accepted.
>
> Any thoughts on what may be causing this? It seems to be happening every
> month or so at this point.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> -Tim Thorburn

* Check your binary logs, someone may actually be changing your passwords.
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.5/en/mysqlbinlog.html

* Be careful with what you backup/restore. You may accidentally revert
your tables to a condition before you set the password.

* mysql.exe is the command-line client. While it would be unusual to
have a client utility that is of a different version than your server,
the actual command to determine the version of the MySQL database server
would be

mysqld --version

* did you attempt to login using mysql to see if the passwords really
were different? Remember, the account 'root' for a new installation is
not created without a password.  If you had restored a very old copy of
that table, that might have been your situation.

* are you aware of the "lost password reset" instructions in the manual?
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.5/en/resetting-permissions.html

--
Shawn Green
Office: Blountville, TN