List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:(Hal Date:July 7 2011 9:37pm
Subject:Re: dumb question?
View as plain text
Goede morgen, and thank you for your suggestion. I am actually wondering if the difference
between lasso 8.1 and 8.6 is so big that traditional lasso code can not be used when
connecting w/ MySQL ? You mentioned "... This can be done in the server configuration, so
no alterations are necessary ...".
<<<<<<<<
This mode is set in "my.cnf" (under Windows "my.ini"), found in one of a variety of
standard places, in the variable "sql-mode", say

sql-mode="ANSI,STRICT_TRANS_TABLES,NO_AUTO_CREATE_USER,NO_ENGINE_SUBSTITUTION"

. The mode in question is "ANSI". There is always a copy of this file in the directory
into which the program MySQL was installed, but that is not the first place where it is
sought. Under Linux, say, "/etc/my.cnf" takes precedence.

Quote from help:

On Windows, MySQL programs read startup options from the following files, in the specified
order (top items are used first).

File Name                            Purpose
WINDIR\my.ini, WINDIR\my.cnf         Global options
C:\my.ini, C:\my.cnf                 Global options
INSTALLDIR\my.ini, INSTALLDIR\my.cnf Global options

On Unix, Linux and Mac OS X, MySQL programs read startup options from the following files,
in the specified order (top items are used first).

File Name                            Purpose
/etc/my.cnf                          Global options
/etc/mysql/my.cnf                    Global options
SYSCONFDIR/my.cnf                    Global options
$MYSQL_HOME/my.cnf                   Server-specific options
defaults-extra-file                  The file specified with --defaults-extra-file=path,
if any
~/.my.cnf                            User-specific options

~ represents the current user's home directory (the value of $HOME).

SYSCONFDIR represents the directory specified with the SYSCONFDIR option to CMake when
MySQL was built. By default, this is the etc directory located under the compiled-in
installation directory.

MYSQL_HOME is an environment variable containing the path to the directory in which the
server-specific my.cnf file resides. If MYSQL_HOME is not set and you start the server
using the mysqld_safe program, mysqld_safe attempts to set MYSQL_HOME as follows:

Let BASEDIR and DATADIR represent the path names of the MySQL base directory and data
directory, respectively.

If there is a my.cnf file in DATADIR but not in BASEDIR, mysqld_safe sets MYSQL_HOME to
DATADIR.

Otherwise, if MYSQL_HOME is not set and there is no my.cnf file in DATADIR, mysqld_safe
sets MYSQL_HOME to BASEDIR.

In MySQL 5.5, use of DATADIR as the location for my.cnf is deprecated.

Typically, DATADIR is /usr/local/mysql/data for a binary installation or /usr/local/var
for a source installation. Note that this is the data directory location that was
specified at configuration time, not the one specified with the --datadir option when
mysqld starts. Use of --datadir at runtime has no effect on where the server looks for
option files, because it looks for them before processing any options.

MySQL looks for option files in the order just described and reads any that exist. If an
option file that you want to use does not exist, create it with a plain text editor.

Thread
dumb question?XL Cordemans6 Jul
  • Re: dumb question?Rik Wasmus6 Jul
    • Re: dumb question?Rik Wasmus6 Jul