List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Johan De Meersman Date:June 14 2011 6:45pm
Subject:Re: optimization strategies based on file-level storage
View as plain text

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Bennett Haselton" <bennett@stripped>
>
> modifications.  (For example, the question I asked earlier about
> whether you can declare extra space at the end of each row that is
> "reserved for future columns".)

That question I can answer: you can't "reserve" space, but if you know what kind of rows
you'll want to add later you can pre-add them (and incur the accompanying storage cost),
and simply rename them appropriately later.

ALTER TABLE will do a full re-write of your table when that is necessary (like adding or
deleting columns), but will (likely) not do so when you're just renaming an existing
column. Look hard enough on the web and you can find info on how to hack the .frm files,
too, so some operations that would do a full re-write don't - but that's fishy business,
and always at your own risk.

--
Bier met grenadyn
Is als mosterd by den wyn