List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Johan De Meersman Date:June 13 2011 9:16pm
Subject:Re: Mysql Failover Recommendations
View as plain text

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Mike Diehl" <mdiehl@stripped>
>
> I'm about to set master-master replication and would like to get
> recommendations as to the best method for getting my applications to
> failover when needed.

I should already be in bed, but as a very brief reply: I find automatic failover of MySQL
servers to be a thoroughly bad idea. Stick to manual failover, regardless of what
mechanism you implement. If you absolutely must go automatic, be damn sure the supposedly
failed node is dead and buried before switching - kill it yourself if you have to (think
IP-enabled power switches).

> MySQL Proxy http://forge.mysql.com/wiki/MySQL_Proxy

I've seen many people rave, but my experience is close to yours: if you want something,
figure it out yourself.

> Ha Proxy http://haproxy.1wt.eu/#fiab

Works very well as a general solution, but may be a bit of overkill. Have a look at
Ultramonkey for good documentation and setups.

> Pen http://siag.nu/pen/

Unknown to me.

People also rave about MMM, haven't much looked at it, yet.

--
Bier met grenadyn
Is als mosterd by den wyn