List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Tim Thorburn Date:June 13 2011 9:55am
Subject:Re: MySQL loses password?
View as plain text
Ok, ran several scans on my dev PC.  Unsurprisingly, nothing was found.
Trying to use command line produces the error:
ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using
password: YES)

The same Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: YES)
happens when trying to use MySQL Workbench 5.2.33 CE.  phpMyAdmin gives
an error #2000 Cannot log in to the MySQL server.

mysql --version returns:
mysql Ver 14.14 Distrib 5.5.11, for Win64 (x86)

I'm guessing I'll be uninstalling/removing MySQL completely tomorrow and
doing a clean install of 5.5.13.  Although it would be handy to know
what caused this problem in the first place.  It's more than a little
concerning when Friday everything works, shutdown computer for the
night, log in again Saturday to find MySQL doesn't so much like my
passwords anymore.

On 6/12/2011 3:33 PM, Claudio Nanni wrote:

> This happens when you use an old client / library. Can you try from
> command line? Also issue: mysql --version
> Claudio
>
> On Jun 12, 2011 3:09 PM, "Tim Thorburn" <webmaster@stripped
> <mailto:webmaster@stripped>> wrote:
> > There's been no upgrade or old pre-upgrade on this machine. I say the
> > same dev password for years, as it is the same password I've used on my
> > dev machines throughout the years.
> >
> > This machine started off as a fresh install of the OS several months
> > ago. The only version of MySQL ever on this particular machine is
> > 5.5.11. My confusion is mostly centered around the "it worked fine on
> > Friday, then Saturday happened" issue. I've run a complete virus scan
> > and found nothing, as well as several spyware/malware scans - it's in
> > the process of running a scan from a rescue disc, so I'll know if
> > there's anything else afterward.
> >
> > Seems odd anyone would bother hacking into this dev machine that's
> > barely connected to the Internet.
> >
> > On 6/12/2011 8:59 AM, Johan De Meersman wrote:
> >> If it's recently been upgraded or had an old pre-upgrade backup
> restored, that's not a major surprise; and surely you won't have ben
> running mysql on a win7 for several years :-)
> >>
> >> In brief, mysql changed password encryptions between 4.1 and 5.0,
> for various reasons. The old password scheme is still supported, but
> iird the default setting for that in newer versions is off, yielding
> you the error you are reporting.
> >>
> >> Of course, if none of that is the case, you may have been hacked;
> but it seems somehow strange that a hacker would bother to install
> oldstyle passwords.
> >>
> >> The error message you provide also mentions the oldpasswd flag for
> PHP< 5.2 - also worth looking at.

Thread
Doubt regarding MysqlsumpAdarsh Sharma7 Jun
  • Re: Doubt regarding MysqlsumpClaudio Nanni7 Jun
    • Re: Doubt regarding MysqlsumpJohan De Meersman7 Jun
      • Re: Doubt regarding MysqlsumpAdarsh Sharma7 Jun
        • Re: Doubt regarding MysqlsumpJohan De Meersman7 Jun
          • Re: Doubt regarding MysqlsumpKaren Abgarian9 Jun
            • Re: Doubt regarding MysqlsumpJohan De Meersman9 Jun
              • Re: Doubt regarding MysqlsumpKaren Abgarian9 Jun
              • RE: Doubt regarding MysqlsumpJerry Schwartz9 Jun
                • RE: Doubt regarding MysqlsumpWm Mussatto9 Jun
                  • MySQL loses password?Tim Thorburn12 Jun
                    • Re: MySQL loses password?Johan De Meersman12 Jun
                      • Re: MySQL loses password?Tim Thorburn12 Jun
                        • Re: MySQL loses password?Claudio Nanni12 Jun
                          • Re: MySQL loses password?Tim Thorburn13 Jun
                            • Re: MySQL loses password?Claudio Nanni13 Jun
                            • Re: MySQL loses password?Andrew Moore13 Jun
  • Re: Doubt regarding MysqlsumpNilnandan Joshi7 Jun
    • Re: Doubt regarding MysqlsumpAdarsh Sharma7 Jun
  • Re: Doubt regarding Mysqlsumpmark carson7 Jun