List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Johan De Meersman Date:June 12 2011 12:59pm
Subject:Re: MySQL loses password?
View as plain text
If it's recently been upgraded or had an old pre-upgrade backup restored, that's not a
major surprise; and surely you won't have ben running mysql on a win7 for several years
:-)

In brief, mysql changed password encryptions between 4.1 and 5.0, for various reasons. The
old password scheme is still supported, but iird the default setting for that in newer
versions is off, yielding you the error you are reporting.

Of course, if none of that is the case, you may have been hacked; but it seems somehow
strange that a hacker would bother to install oldstyle passwords.

The error message you provide also mentions the oldpasswd flag for PHP < 5.2 - also
worth looking at.