List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Tim Thorburn Date:June 12 2011 12:50pm
Subject:MySQL loses password?
View as plain text
Hi all,

I came across something strange today on my dev machine and thought I'd
see if anyone here has run into a similar problem.  To begin, my dev
machine is Win7 Ultimate 64-bit, running MySQL 5.5.11 (also 64-bit).
Today when I tried to log into the server using the old MySQL GUI tools
as root, I got an error number 1045 Access denied for user
'root'@'localhost' (using password: YES).  This is odd because I've not
changed the root password on my dev machine in years.  When I tried to
goto a site on this same machine, Apache throws the following message:

mysqlnd cannot connect to MySQL 4.1+ using the old insecure
authentication.  Please use an administration tool to reset your
password with the command SET PASSWORD =
PASSWORD('your_existing_password').  This will store a new, and more
secure, hash value in mysql.user.  If this user is used in other scripts
executed by PHP 5.2 or earlier you might need to remove the
old-passwords flag from your my.cnf file

This is the first time I've seen such a message, or had MySQL randomly
stop accepting my root password.  I'll likely be doing a complete
uninstall and reinstall in a few hours on this machine, but thought I'd
ask here to see if anyone had any thoughts as to why this happened, and
how I might correct it?  If at all possible, I'd prefer to not have to
do an uninstall/reinstall as I wisely hadn't backed up a few tables I
was working on over the last couple days.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance,
-Tim
Thread
Doubt regarding MysqlsumpAdarsh Sharma7 Jun
  • Re: Doubt regarding MysqlsumpClaudio Nanni7 Jun
    • Re: Doubt regarding MysqlsumpJohan De Meersman7 Jun
      • Re: Doubt regarding MysqlsumpAdarsh Sharma7 Jun
        • Re: Doubt regarding MysqlsumpJohan De Meersman7 Jun
          • Re: Doubt regarding MysqlsumpKaren Abgarian9 Jun
            • Re: Doubt regarding MysqlsumpJohan De Meersman9 Jun
              • Re: Doubt regarding MysqlsumpKaren Abgarian9 Jun
              • RE: Doubt regarding MysqlsumpJerry Schwartz9 Jun
                • RE: Doubt regarding MysqlsumpWm Mussatto9 Jun
                  • MySQL loses password?Tim Thorburn12 Jun
                    • Re: MySQL loses password?Johan De Meersman12 Jun
                      • Re: MySQL loses password?Tim Thorburn12 Jun
                        • Re: MySQL loses password?Claudio Nanni12 Jun
                          • Re: MySQL loses password?Tim Thorburn13 Jun
                            • Re: MySQL loses password?Claudio Nanni13 Jun
                            • Re: MySQL loses password?Andrew Moore13 Jun
  • Re: Doubt regarding MysqlsumpNilnandan Joshi7 Jun
    • Re: Doubt regarding MysqlsumpAdarsh Sharma7 Jun
  • Re: Doubt regarding Mysqlsumpmark carson7 Jun