List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:sono-io Date:June 9 2011 12:28am
Subject:Re: Data missing after field optimization
View as plain text
On Jun 7, 2011, at 10:43 PM, Johan De Meersman wrote:

> If that's all you did, you indeed 'removed the default NULL' but did not specify
> another default. Hence, if you don't explicitly specify a value in your insert statement,
> the insert can not happen as the server doesn't know what to put there and is explicitly
> disallowed from leaving the value empty.

	That makes sense.  So then why does phpMyAdmin allow you to choose "None" as a default?

> Where did you find the advice about setting columns NOT NULL?

	I can't find them today, but I read on a couple of web sites that not populating fields
with NULL would make the tables more efficient.

	I have a shopping cart that has every field as type TEXT and I'm going through it with a
fine tooth comb trying to make it more efficient.

> You really shouldn't take everything you read on the internet as truth :-)

	NOW you tell me! =;)  I guess I learned my lesson the hard way.

Thanks again,
Marc
Thread
Data missing after field optimizationsono-io7 Jun
  • Re: Data missing after field optimizationJohan De Meersman7 Jun
    • Re: Data missing after field optimizationsono-io7 Jun
      • Re: Data missing after field optimizationRik Wasmus7 Jun
      • Re: Data missing after field optimizationJohan De Meersman8 Jun
        • Re: Data missing after field optimizationsono-io9 Jun
          • RE: Data missing after field optimizationJerry Schwartz9 Jun
        • Re: Data missing after field optimizationsono-io14 Jun
          • Re: Data missing after field optimizationJohan De Meersman14 Jun