List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Jerry Schwartz Date:June 3 2011 2:45pm
Subject:RE: timezone
View as plain text
From: John Daisley [mailto:daisleyjohn@stripped]
Sent: Friday, June 03, 2011 6:09 AM
To: Rocio Gomez Escribano
Cc: mysql@stripped

now() returns the current system time which doesn't really have a great deal to do with
time zones.

[JS] I think that statement is confusing – at least, it is to me. Unless you specify
otherwise, NOW() returns the current system time in the system’s time zone. Your
comment could be interpreted to mean that it doesn’t use any time zone: i.e., that
it returns the UTC.

Regards,

Jerry Schwartz

Global Information Incorporated

195 Farmington Ave.

Farmington, CT 06032

860.674.8796 / FAX: 860.674.8341

E-mail: jerry@stripped

Web site: www.the-infoshop.com <http://www.the-infoshop.com/>

You can check what the current time zone is set to with the following command

show variables like 'time_zone';

but that is likely to return the value 'SYSTEM' which means it takes the value from the
host operating system ( usually set in /etc/timezone ).

You can set the time_zone variable either globally or per session to an offset of UTC as
follows

SET time_zone='+00:00:00';

SET GLOBAL time_zone='+00:00:00';

Or you can specify a 'default_time_zone' in your my.cnf/my.ini options file.

You can also set the time_zone variables to a named offset which will then take account of
daylight savings times but to do this you must first load the mysql time zone tables.

I strongly suggest you read the manual section relating to time zone support which you can
find here

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.5/en/time-zone-support.html