List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Johan De Meersman Date:May 24 2011 3:51pm
Subject:Re: Renaming a database?
View as plain text
----- Original Message -----
> From: "Jerry Schwartz" <jerry@stripped>
>
> It looks like there’s no way to rename a database. Is that true?

Yes. Silly oversight, although there's probably complexity reasons behind it.

> - I want to get a current version of a database out of the way so
> that I can load in an older version, without having to pay the
> penalty of reloading the current version.

That precludes "rename table db1.blah to db2.blah", I guess - it basically copies the
whole thing and then kills the old one. Slowwwwww for big tables :-)

> - I think I have a database that isn’t being used (don’t ask), and I
> want to hide it to see if anything blows up.

If you are in a position to shut your server down, you may rename the database directory
while it's down IF you only use MyISAM tables.

If you have InnoDB tables, you're stuck with dump/reload or rename table.

--
Bier met grenadyn
Is als mosterd by den wyn