List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Johan De Meersman Date:May 19 2011 3:37pm
Subject:Re: Interesting bug/oversight
View as plain text
----- Original Message -----
> From: "Dan Nelson" <dnelson@stripped>
> I doubt that mysql calls anything other than gethostbyname() or
> getaddrinfo(), so your behaviour is probably dependant on whatever OS
> you are running and how often its local resolver re-checks resolv.conf.
> Usually that's only once when a program starts.  If you're running bind,
> nscd, or some other intermediate DNS client on your machine, bouncing that
> should work.  If not, you'll need to bounce mysql.

Yep, that was my first though, too. The documentation also confirms that the daemon calls
gethostbyaddr() and gethostbyname(). However, as I said, it failed to switch to the new
nameserver upon changing the resolv.conf, and didn't until I kicked the daemon in the

Production machine also pointed to the wrong DNS server, but since I can't just restart
that (badly written Java apps go boom) it still hasn't switched. Adding the correct entry
to /etc/hosts does work around the issue, further confirming that yes, it probably does
use the standard resolver.

Random *nix people in the meantime confirm that this is not only a MySQL problem; although
I can't help but wonder if it would be possible to work around it in the flush hosts

Bier met grenadyn
Is als mosterd by den wyn
Sy die't drinkt, is eene kwezel
Hy die't drinkt, is ras een ezel
Interesting bug/oversightJohan De Meersman19 May
  • Re: Interesting bug/oversightClaudio Nanni19 May
    • Re: Interesting bug/oversightJohan De Meersman19 May
  • Re: Interesting bug/oversightDan Nelson19 May
    • Re: Interesting bug/oversightJohan De Meersman19 May