List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Akachi Pictures Date:May 4 2011 9:13pm
Subject:RE: DBA Mentor?
View as plain text
No, not offended at all! Trust me, i'd much rather get no responses than a rather
insulting remark as to soliciting training for $20. I mean, what is that??? I'm not
naive, I "get it." So there were absolutely no expecations on my part as far as having
people "jump up to offer."

As I'm self-studying, i was listening to a career podcast and they suggested getting a
mentor to bounce questions off of and get advice. So, i posted what i posted.

that's it.

sigh....

Chidiki

"Do what you love and you'll never work a day in your life."

> Date: Wed, 4 May 2011 16:19:40 -0400
> From: rhino1@stripped
> To: purplefilms@stripped
> Subject: Re: DBA Mentor?
>

> I hope you're not offended by the fact that no one jumped up to offer
> to be your mentor. Your request was perfectly polite and I'm sure no one
> was offended by it.
>
> The thing is that most of the people on this mailing list are working
> full time and have families and private lives. Also, I think they are
> concerned that you are looking for a big commitment of time. Expecting
> that kind of person to give up a lot of scarce personal time is just not
> very realistic. I'm sure you'll look back on this in a few years when
> you are working full time and have an active private life yourself and
> realize how much you are asking.
>
> In the meantime, feel free to post questions here and I'm sure people
> will help as best they can. But don't look for really long answers, even
> to "big questions" like "how do I design a database?". You're much more
> likely to get a reference to a tutorial or a book than to have someone
> actually explain the process in detail. Most of us have bosses looking
> over our shoulder and simply can't take a lot of time to help someone to
> the level that a mentor typically does.
>
> Good luck to you!
>
> --
> Rhino
>
> On 2011-05-04 15:54, Akachi Pictures wrote:
> > GUYS. I NEVER ASKED TO PAY MONEY OR ASKED FOR TUTORING! GEEZ!

Thread
DBA Mentor?Akachi Pictures4 May
  • Re: DBA Mentor?Claudio Nanni4 May
    • RE: DBA Mentor?Akachi Pictures4 May