List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Johan De Meersman Date:April 29 2011 9:56am
Subject:Re: Join based upon LIKE
View as plain text
----- Original Message -----
> From: "Jerry Schwartz" <jerry@stripped>
>
> [JS] This isn't the only place I have to deal with fuzzy data. :-(
> Discretion prohibits further comment.

Heh. What you *really* need, is a LART. Preferably one of the spiked variety.

> A full-text index would work if I were only looking for one title at
> a time, but I don't know if that would be a good idea if I have a list of
> 10000 titles. That would pretty much require either 10000 separate queries
> or a very, very long WHERE clause.

Yes, unfortunately. You should see if you can introduce a form of data normalisation -
say, shadow fields with corrected entries, or functionality in the application that
suggests correct entries based on what the user typed.

Or, if the money's there, you could have a look at Amazon Mechanical Turk (yes, really)
for cheap-ish data correction.

--
Bier met grenadyn
Is als mosterd by den wyn
Sy die't drinkt, is eene kwezel
Hy die't drinkt, is ras een ezel
Thread
FW: Join based upon LIKEJerry Schwartz28 Apr
  • Re: Join based upon LIKEJohan De Meersman28 Apr
    • RE: Join based upon LIKEJerry Schwartz29 Apr
      • Re: Join based upon LIKEJohan De Meersman29 Apr
        • RE: Join based upon LIKEJerry Schwartz29 Apr
  • Re: FW: Join based upon LIKEhsv30 Apr
RE: Join based upon LIKEJerry Schwartz29 Apr
  • Re: Join based upon LIKEJohan De Meersman1 May
    • RE: Join based upon LIKEJerry Schwartz2 May
      • Re: Join based upon LIKEJohan De Meersman3 May
        • RE: Join based upon LIKEJerry Schwartz3 May
          • Re: Join based upon LIKEJohan De Meersman3 May
            • Re: Join based upon LIKEshawn wilson3 May
              • RE: Join based upon LIKEJerry Schwartz3 May
                • Re: Join based upon LIKENuno Tavares4 May
                  • RE: Join based upon LIKEJerry Schwartz5 May
Re: FW: Join based upon LIKEhsv30 Apr