List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Mitchell Maltenfort Date:April 25 2011 2:56pm
Subject:Re: LEFT JOIN and WHERE: identical or not and what is better?
View as plain text
'where' is a filter. You're limiting records based on a criterion.

'on' is used for joining.

On Mon, Apr 25, 2011 at 10:42 AM, Andre Polykanine <andre@stripped> wrote:
> Hello everyone,
> Sorry for my beginner question. Actually I have been using MySql for a
> long  time  but  I  just  start  using some advanced
> things (earlier I
> accomplished  those  tasks  with  PHP),  so  I
>  will  be asking stupid
> questions, please bear with me.
> Here is the first one.
> We have two queries:
> SELECT `blogs`.* FROM     `Blogs`     LEFT     JOIN
>     `Users`     ON
> `Blogs`.`UserId`=`Users`.`Id`;
> and the following one:
> SELECT       `Blogs`.*      FROM
>  `Blogs`,      `Users`      WHERE
> `Blogs`.`UserId`=`Users`.`Id`;
>
> 1. Are they identical?
> 2.  Which is better (faster, more optimal, more kosher, I mean, better
> style...)?
> Thanks!
>

> --
> With best regards from Ukraine,
> Andre
> Skype: Francophile
> Twitter: http://twitter.com/m_elensule
> Facebook: http://facebook.com/menelion

LEFT JOIN and WHERE: identical or not and what is better?Andre Polykanine25 Apr
  • Re: LEFT JOIN and WHERE: identical or not and what is better?Mitchell Maltenfort25 Apr
  • Re: LEFT JOIN and WHERE: identical or not and what is better?joao25 Apr
  • Re: LEFT JOIN and WHERE: identical or not and what is better?Johnny Withers25 Apr
  • Re: LEFT JOIN and WHERE: identical or not and what is better?Joerg Bruehe25 Apr
  • Re: LEFT JOIN and WHERE: identical or not and what is better?,etc.hsv26 Apr
    • Re: LEFT JOIN and WHERE: identical or not and what is better?, etc.Suresh Kuna26 Apr
    • Re: LEFT JOIN and WHERE: identical or not and what is better?, etc.Andre Polykanine26 Apr
      • Re: LEFT JOIN and WHERE: identical or not and what is better?,etc.hsv27 Apr