List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Karen Abgarian Date:March 21 2011 6:33pm
Subject:Re: Question about Backup
View as plain text
That would be the last question :-)  Suppose we worked out strategy, lined up the
solutions along with their costs and then compare them with our budget.   That would be
easy to find the one we can afford, and we will know what we could dream about :-).

On Mar 21, 2011, at 11:28 AM, Singer X.J. Wang wrote:

> Also, very important but often not asked:
>
> 1) What's my budget?
>

> On Mon, Mar 21, 2011 at 14:24, Karen Abgarian <abvk@stripped> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The statement like 'I need to back up a 5T database' is not a backup strategy.  It is
> intention.  There are some specifics that have to be determined to work out a strategy.
> Going from there, the backup solution can be chosen.  The examples of questions one
> typically asks when determining a strategy are as follows:
>
> 1.  What is my allowed data loss in time units, f.e. hours and minutes?
> 2.  What are my availability requirements for the data to be brought up, that is how
> quickly I want to recover from backup?
> 3.  Do I need to be able to recover as of discrete points of time or as of any
> continuous time range?
> 4.  What are my availability requirements during backups?
>

> Tx
> Karen.
>

> On Mar 21, 2011, at 4:44 AM, Reindl Harald wrote:
>
> > Forget mysqldump because TABLE LOCKS for so hughe databases
> > I would setup a replication-slave because you can stop
> > the salave and make a filesystem-backup of the whole db-folder
> > while the production server is online, we do this with our
> > dbmail-server since 2009
> >
> > Am 21.03.2011 12:23, schrieb Pedro Nuñez:
> >> Hi
> >>
> >> I need set up a backup strategy  for a mysql database in a ubuntu server,
> >> the database will grow up to a 5TB.
> >> What would be the best option ?? Maybe a script that uses mysqldump?? There
> >> is a better way to do this?
> >>
> >> Thanks in advance to all
> >> Pedro.
> >
> > --
> >
> > Mit besten Grüßen, Reindl Harald
> > the lounge interactive design GmbH
> > A-1060 Vienna, Hofmühlgasse 17
> > CTO / software-development / cms-solutions
> > p: +43 (1) 595 3999 33, m: +43 (676) 40 221 40
> > icq: 154546673, http://www.thelounge.net/

> The best compliment you could give Pythian for our service is a referral.

Thread
Question about BackupPedro Nuñez21 Mar
  • Re: Question about BackupReindl Harald21 Mar
    • Re: Question about BackupKaren Abgarian21 Mar
    • Re: Question about BackupJohan De Meersman22 Mar
      • Re: Question about BackupKaren Abgarian22 Mar
        • Re: Question about BackupWm Mussatto22 Mar
Re: Question about BackupKaren Abgarian21 Mar