List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Reindl Harald Date:March 3 2011 10:01pm
Subject:Re: best practice: mysql_multi, VMs w/single instance per or doesn't
matter?
View as plain text
i would use virtual machines because port/socket/configuration

after running our whole infrastructure on vmware i can not understand
how i could live without machine-snapshots and auto-failover :-)

on hardware with virtualization support performance is also
not a problem and ESXi is free without support on hardware
matching the HCL

Am 03.03.2011 22:52, schrieb Sid Lane:
> I've always had a single physical server that is the qc mysql database for
> all our applications but it's now up to 85 schemas so I want to break it up
> along the same lines as production (where there's redundant pools of mysql
> servers by application class).
>
> my basic question is whether it's better to run multiple instances on the
> same host or run single instances on multiple VMs on the same physical
> server.  I can see slight advantages/disadvantages to each but no obvious
> upside nor downside to either.
>
> remember, this is dev/qc, not prod, so I'm leaning toward VMs so I don't
> have to manage port #s in configs or expect developers to remember that
> (also, I don't have to modify scripts for multiple instances, paths, etc).
> not big reasons for sure but all else equal I'll go the less work route and
> the only upside to multi I see is not having to reload the box as VM host.
>
> any compelling argument for either approach?

best practice: mysql_multi, VMs w/single instance per or doesn't matter?Sid Lane3 Mar
  • Re: best practice: mysql_multi, VMs w/single instance per or doesn'tmatter?Reindl Harald3 Mar
    • Re: best practice: mysql_multi, VMs w/single instance per or doesn't matter?Claudio Nanni3 Mar
      • RE: best practice: mysql_multi, VMs w/single instance per or doesn't matter?Daevid Vincent4 Mar
  • Re: best practice: mysql_multi, VMs w/single instance per or doesn't matter?Johan De Meersman4 Mar
    • RE: best practice: mysql_multi, VMs w/single instance per or doesn't matter?Jerry Schwartz4 Mar