List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:mos Date:February 24 2011 3:35pm
Subject:Re: I can't have "group" as a column name in a table?
View as plain text
At 05:13 AM 2/24/2011, you wrote:
>Use a quote around the column name or explicitly specify the column as
>details refer to http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.5/en/reserved-words.html
>
>Thanks
>Aveek

Hmmm. Everyone has given me a great idea. I am going to change my table
names to "Table", "Group", "Having", "Select", "Into", "Order By",
"Update", "Delete" etc. just to confuse hackers so they won't be able to
launch a sql injection attack against my website. The naming convention
will drive them crazy.

Mike
(Just kidding)

>On Feb 24, 2011, at 4:36 PM, Dave M G wrote:
>
> > MySQL users,
> >
> > Simple question:
> >
> > In one table in my database, the column was named "group".
> >
> > I kept getting failed query errors until I renamed the column.
> >
> > I've never before encountered a situation where MySQL mistook a column
> > name for part of the query syntax.
> >
> > Should I never use the word "group" for column names? Seems a little
> > silly. Is there a way to protect column names to that there is no
> confusion?
> >
> > --
> > Dave M G
> >
> > --

I can't have "group" as a column name in a table?Dave M G24 Feb
  • Re: I can't have "group" as a column name in a table?Aveek Misra24 Feb
    • Re: I can't have "group" as a column name in a table?Simcha Younger24 Feb
    • Re: I can't have "group" as a column name in a table?mos24 Feb
    • Re: I can't have "group" as a column name in a table? [SOLVED]Dave M G25 Feb
  • Re: I can't have "group" as a column name in a table?joao24 Feb
  • Re: I can't have "group" as a column name in a table?Johan De Meersman24 Feb