List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Jan Steinman Date:February 11 2011 5:53pm
Subject:Converting INNODB to file-per-table?
View as plain text
Our incremental backups seem to be filling with instances of ib_logfile1, ib_logfile2, and
ibdata1.

I know that changing a single byte in a single INNODB table causes these files to be
"touched."

I put "innodb_file_per_table" in /etc/my.cnf, but apparently, that only causes new
databases to be "file per table," and it is older databases that are being touched in a
minor way daily, causing gigabytes to be backed up needlessly.

Some time ago, someone posted a way to convert existing INNODB tables to "file per table,"
but I am unable to find that.

Can someone please post that procedure again?

(I also welcome any "you shouldn't be doing it that way" comments, as long as they show a
better way... :-)

This is for a fairly low-volume server, running on a Mac Mini with two 500GB disks.

Thanks!

In summary, the idea is to give all of the information to help others to judge the value
of your contribution; not just the information that leads to judgement in one particular
direction or another. -- Richard P. Feynman

Converting INNODB to file-per-table?Jan Steinman11 Feb
  • Re: Converting INNODB to file-per-table?Johnny Withers11 Feb
  • RE: Converting INNODB to file-per-table?Rolando Edwards11 Feb
    • Re: Converting INNODB to file-per-table?Jan Steinman11 Feb
      • Re: Converting INNODB to file-per-table?petya11 Feb