List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Jan Steinman Date:February 9 2011 7:15pm
Subject:Re: Auto-Increment Values in Mysql
View as plain text
> From: Adarsh Sharma <adarsh.sharma@stripped>
>
> I have an auto-increment column in Mysql database table. Let's say the column has
> below values :

I'll echo what others have said.

Auto-increment is typically used to generate unique primary keys. If this column is your
primary key, DO NOT change its value! PK = identity.

"The value of a record is the key, the whole key, and nothing but the key, so help me
Codd." :-)

If the auto-inc field is NOT the primary key, AND if it must have contiguous values, as
others said, you probably want to have your business logic keeping track of it, rather
than using auto-increment.

I know others have said the same thing, but sometimes it help to hear it put differently.

----------------
In my mind are many dwellings. Each of the dwellings we create ourselves - the house of
anger, the house of despair, the house of self pity, the house of indifference, the house
of negative, the house of positive, the house of hope, the house of joy, the house of
peace, the house of enthusiasm, the house of cooperation, the house of giving. Each of
these houses we visit each day. We can stay in any house for as long as we want. We can
leave these mental houses any time we wish. We create the dwelling, we stay in the
dwelling, we leave the dwelling whenever we wish. We can create new rooms, new houses.
Whenever we enter these dwellings, this becomes our world until we leave for another.
What world will we live in today? -- Don Coyhis

Auto-Increment Values in MysqlAdarsh Sharma9 Feb
  • Re: Auto-Increment Values in MysqlMark Goodge9 Feb
  • Re: Auto-Increment Values in MysqlReindl Harald9 Feb
Re: Auto-Increment Values in MysqlJan Steinman9 Feb