List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Johan De Meersman Date:February 9 2011 6:53am
Subject:Re: Replacing MS SQL with MySql
View as plain text
On Wed, Feb 9, 2011 at 7:18 AM, Reindl Harald <h.reindl@stripped>wrote:

> Am 09.02.2011 06:36, schrieb Y z:
> >
> > I have a windows app that wants to talk to either a) an access database,
> b) a MS
> > Sql Express database, or c) a MS Sql 2008 database.
> >
> > Can anyone please point me in the direction of configuring My Sql to
> > imitate any of the above?
>
> no way if the application has no abstraction-layer
> you can not easy switvh from one rdbms to another
> because in a closed source app you will even not
> can connect
>
> after connect there are hughe differences in many details
>
> so if a application does not support a specific rdbms
> you can not use it

Remember, TIMTOWTDI<https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/TIMTOWTDI>:-)
If someone you want to talk to knows only one language, find an
interpreter. MS Access apparently speaks the same language as his app; and
using ODBC it can also talk MySQL. Link the tables in Access and let the app
use them as if they were regular tables.

--
Bier met grenadyn
Is als mosterd by den wyn

Thread
Replacing MS SQL with MySqlY z9 Feb
  • Re: Replacing MS SQL with MySqlJohan De Meersman9 Feb
    • RE: Replacing MS SQL with MySqlY z9 Feb
      • RE: Replacing MS SQL with MySqlDavid Brian Chait9 Feb
    • RE: Replacing MS SQL with MySqlJerry Schwartz9 Feb
      • Re: Replacing MS SQL with MySqlJohan De Meersman9 Feb
        • RE: Replacing MS SQL with MySqlJerry Schwartz9 Feb
          • Re: Replacing MS SQL with MySqlJohan De Meersman9 Feb
  • Re: Replacing MS SQL with MySqlReindl Harald9 Feb