List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Geert-Jan Brits Date:February 3 2011 8:44am
Subject:Re: map polygon data for popular us cities
View as plain text
Besides the above,
I recall Flickr (you know the photo-sharing site)  being able to extract
(kind of rough) polygons from exif-data of photos (containing lat/longs) .
Since often these photo's are tagged by city they could extract city
boundaries.

See this old posts I dug up quickly, I'm not sure if development is still
active, etc.
http://code.flickr.com/blog/2008/10/30/the-shape-of-alpha/
http://biodivertido.blogspot.com/2008/11/flickr-creating-polygons-out-of-points.html

hth,
Geert-Jan

2011/2/3 viraj <kalinga@stripped>

> thank you all for the links and notes.
>
> ~viraj
>
> On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 7:08 AM, Gavin Towey <gtowey@stripped> wrote:
> > Openstreetmap.org is as close as you'll get. I'd be surprised if they
> have shapes for cities beyond just lat/lon point data, but they should have
> shapes data for zips, counties, states and countries if I recall correctly.

map polygon data for popular us citiesviraj2 Feb
  • Re: map polygon data for popular us citiesJohan De Meersman2 Feb
    • RE: map polygon data for popular us citiesGavin Towey3 Feb
      • Re: map polygon data for popular us citiesviraj3 Feb
        • Re: map polygon data for popular us citiesGeert-Jan Brits3 Feb
          • RE: map polygon data for popular us citiesJerry Schwartz3 Feb
  • RE: map polygon data for popular us citiesTravis Ard3 Feb
  • Re: map polygon data for popular us citiesSander de Bruijne7 Feb
    • Re: map polygon data for popular us citiesAlex Ksikes3 Apr