List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Paul DuBois Date:December 30 1999 3:09am
Subject:Re: Tiny typo in doc's. Maybe.
View as plain text
At 12:54 AM +0200 1999-12-30, Michael Widenius wrote:
>Hi!

>Paul> Actually, this does look incorrect to me, too.  Should the filename
>Paul> in the LOAD DATA statement be just "data.txt" without a leading dot?
>
>What do you mean?  I think the explanation isn't that bad...
>
>The server starts by doing a 'cd' to the mysql data directory.  Any
>file name, without a path, will automaticly get the current threads
>data directory before the name. In other words, assuming you have the
>following files:
>
>/my/data/rows.txt
>/my/data/test/rows2.txt
>
>You can read the first file with:
>
>LOAD DATA INFILE "./rows.txt" ...
>or
>LOAD DATA INFILE "/my/data/rows.txt" ...
>
>and the second file with:
>
>USE test;
>LOAD DATA INFILE "rows2.txt" ...
>or
>LOAD DATA INFILE "./test/rows2.txt"
>or
>LOAD DATA INFILE "/my/data/test/rows2.txt" ...
>
>Your are welcome to improve the explanation in the manual :)

The explanation is fine, it's just that the example is incorrect, because
it's supposed to illustrate that even though the file is being read into
a table explicitly named as being in db2, the file is read from the data
directory for db1.  At least that's the intent.  The filename in the
example, however ("./data.txt") will be read from the server's data
directory.  I think I'll change the last sentence of the narrative
before the example to make it clearer what the intent of the example
is, and fix the example so that it illustrates the intent better.

--
Paul DuBois, paul@stripped
Thread