List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Joerg Bruehe Date:January 31 2011 4:59pm
Subject:Re: What collations for UCS distinguishing accented characters from
their unaccented equivalents are available?
View as plain text
Hi Filipus, all!

Filipus Klutiero wrote:
> Hi,
> an international site has some content in several latin languages, for
> example English and French. Sometimes 2 pages, one in English and one in
> French, have the same name except for an accent (for example, in
> English, Demonstration, in French, Démonstration). The site's database
> schema enforces page names to be unique.

To me, your approach sounds wrong: What would you do if two languages
used the same word with fully identical spelling, no accents involved?
For example, "demonstration" is used in both English and German.

If you want to have unique names in a multi-language setup, IMO you
should take the language (code) as part of the page name. With the
example above, you might end up with "DE_demonstration" and
"EN_demonstration", and then a (missing) accent in "FR_demonstration"
might not matter at all.

> [[...]]

HTH,
Jörg

--
Joerg Bruehe,  MySQL Build Team,  joerg.bruehe@stripped
ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG,   Komturstrasse 18a,   D-12099 Berlin

Thread
What collations for UCS distinguishing accented characters from theirunaccented equivalents are available?Filipus Klutiero30 Jan
  • Re: What collations for UCS distinguishing accented characters fromtheir unaccented equivalents are available?Joerg Bruehe31 Jan