List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Joerg Bruehe Date:January 31 2011 4:57pm
Subject:Re: libmysqlclient.so.16 no version information available
View as plain text
Noel, all,

Noel Butler wrote:
> Arg!  This abomination  5.5 is causing more headaches,
>
> postfix will not run, I've heard dovecot may not either, amongst others
>

> postconf: /usr/lib/libmysqlclient.so.16: no version information
> available (required by postcon
> /etc/init.d/postfix start
>  * Starting Postfix Mail Transport Agent postfix
> postconf: /usr/lib/libmysqlclient.so.16: no version information
> available (required by postconf)
> /usr/sbin/postconf: /usr/lib/libmysqlclient.so.16: no version
> information available (required by /usr/sbin/postconf)
> /usr/sbin/postconf: /usr/lib/libmysqlclient.so.16: no version
> information available (required by /usr/sbin/postconf)
>
> [fail]
>

> *sigh*  Why was this removed, or is this another side affect of that
> amazing winblozy P.O.S cmake?

could you please specify exactly what you feel was removed from 5.5, but
present in 5.1?
I'd also like to know on which platform "postconf" runs which commands
to check "libmysqlclient".

I am not aware of a versioning change around "libmysqlclient",
especially MySQL 5.1 and 5.5 both use the same version 16 for this
library (the interface didn't change).
This is also the reason why "shared-compat" packages of MySQL 5.5 do not
include the client libraries shipped with 5.1, only those of 5.0 and
earlier: The MySQL 5.5 ones can replace those of 5.1 directly.

What was changed, however, is that now the client library is only built
thread-safe: whereas previous versions had separate "libmysqlclient.*"
and "libmysqlclient_r.*", these are now (in 5.5) symbolic links to the
same file.

It is of course possible that "cmake" does handle some aspects different
from the way "make" and the autotools did it, but that this difference
does not matter to the way we do release builds (or was overcome).
Especially, the ".la" files are not created any more.

HTH,
Jörg

--
Joerg Bruehe,  MySQL Build Team,  joerg.bruehe@stripped
ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG,   Komturstrasse 18a,   D-12099 Berlin

Thread
libmysqlclient.so.16 no version information availableNoel Butler31 Jan
  • Re: libmysqlclient.so.16 no version information availableReindl Harald31 Jan
    • Re: libmysqlclient.so.16 no version information availableNoel Butler31 Jan
      • Re: libmysqlclient.so.16 no version information availableReindl Harald31 Jan
        • Re: libmysqlclient.so.16 no version information availableNoel Butler31 Jan
    • Re: libmysqlclient.so.16 no version information availableJoerg Bruehe31 Jan