List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Kendall Gifford Date:January 25 2011 6:56pm
Subject:Re: Slow query on MySQL4 server doing simple inner join of two InnoDB tables
View as plain text
On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 6:43 PM, Gavin Towey <gtowey@stripped> wrote:

> If you show the EXPLAIN SELECT .. output, and the table structure, someone
> will be able to give a more definite answer.

Thanks for the reply Gavin. I actually did place this info in my very first
message on this thread, along with my basic table structure and server
version. Myself and others have just stopped keeping the full,
deeply-nested, quoted thread inside all subsequent messages which is why you
probably haven't seen it.

However, here is the EXPLAIN SELECT from the first message (reformatted for
email):

select_type: SIMPLE
table: recipients
type: ref
possible_keys: messages_fk, employee_idx
key: employee_idx
key_len: 5
ref: const
rows: 222640
Extra: Using where; Using temporary; Using filesort

select_type: SIMPLE
table: messages
type: eq_ref
possible_keys: PRIMARY
key: PRIMARY
key_len: 4
ref: email_archive.recipients.message_id
rows: 1
Extra:

Anyhow, having now copied these tables to another server (MySQL 5.1) and
done some tests (bumping up innodb_buffer_pool_size and playing with
innodb_flush_log_at_trx_commit for my writes and a few other knobs) it is
simply that these somewhat large tables need lots of RAM to perform well,
just as Reindl Harald originally pointed out.

Thanks again for the help everyone!

--
Kendall Gifford
zettabyte@stripped

Thread
Slow query on MySQL4 server doing simple inner join of two InnoDB tablesKendall Gifford21 Jan
  • Re: Slow query on MySQL4 server doing simple inner join of two InnoDBtablesReindl Harald21 Jan
  • Re: Slow query on MySQL4 server doing simple inner join of two InnoDBtablesMySQL)21 Jan
    • Re: Slow query on MySQL4 server doing simple inner join of two InnoDB tablesKendall Gifford21 Jan
    • Re: Slow query on MySQL4 server doing simple inner join of two InnoDBtablesJoerg Bruehe24 Jan
      • Re: Slow query on MySQL4 server doing simple inner join of two InnoDB tablesKendall Gifford24 Jan
        • Re: Slow query on MySQL4 server doing simple inner join of two InnoDB tablesKendall Gifford24 Jan
          • RE: Slow query on MySQL4 server doing simple inner join of twoInnoDB tablesGavin Towey25 Jan
            • Re: Slow query on MySQL4 server doing simple inner join of two InnoDB tablesKendall Gifford25 Jan
  • InnoDB and rsyncEric Robinson25 Jan
    • Re: InnoDB and rsyncJohan De Meersman25 Jan
    • Re: InnoDB and rsyncReindl Harald25 Jan
  • RE: InnoDB and rsyncEric Robinson25 Jan
    • Re: InnoDB and rsyncMattia Merzi25 Jan
    • Re: InnoDB and rsyncJohan De Meersman25 Jan
    • Re: InnoDB and rsyncReindl Harald25 Jan
      • Re: InnoDB and rsyncJohan De Meersman25 Jan
        • Re: InnoDB and rsyncReindl Harald25 Jan
        • RE: InnoDB and rsyncJerry Schwartz25 Jan
    • Re: InnoDB and rsyncSteve Musumeche25 Jan
    • Re: InnoDB and rsyncMySQL)26 Jan
  • RE: InnoDB and rsyncEric Robinson25 Jan
  • RE: InnoDB and rsyncEric Robinson25 Jan
    • Re: InnoDB and rsyncMySQL)26 Jan
  • RE: InnoDB and rsyncEric Robinson25 Jan
    • Re: InnoDB and rsyncReindl Harald25 Jan
  • RE: InnoDB and rsyncEric Robinson25 Jan
    • Re: InnoDB and rsyncReindl Harald25 Jan
  • RE: InnoDB and rsyncEric Robinson25 Jan
  • RE: InnoDB and rsyncEric Robinson26 Jan
  • RE: InnoDB and rsyncEric Robinson26 Jan
  • RE: InnoDB and rsyncEric Robinson26 Jan
    • Re: InnoDB and rsyncJohan De Meersman26 Jan
  • RE: InnoDB and rsyncEric Robinson26 Jan
  • RE: InnoDB and rsyncEric Robinson28 Jan
    • Re: InnoDB and rsyncMichael Dykman28 Jan
    • Re: InnoDB and rsyncReindl Harald28 Jan
  • RE: InnoDB and rsyncEric Robinson28 Jan
  • RE: InnoDB and rsyncEric Robinson28 Jan
    • Re: InnoDB and rsyncReindl Harald28 Jan
  • RE: InnoDB and rsyncEric Robinson28 Jan
    • Re: InnoDB and rsyncEric Bergen1 Feb