List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Eric Robinson Date:January 25 2011 3:45pm
Subject:RE: InnoDB and rsync
View as plain text
> > There is a very good reason: it is the phenomenon of row drift. The
> > master and slave can appear to be in good sync, but often it is not
> > actually the case.
>
> ... sounds interesting; have you got any document explaining
> this phenomenon? AFAIK, the things that (silently) break
> replication are:
> - non-deterministic functions in statement-based replication
> - hand-made updates on the slave db
> is this enough to justify a *daily* resync?!

I'm definitely no expert on this. All I know is that we used to
frequently experience situations where queries to the slaves would
return different recordsets than the same queries to the masters. Yet by
all other indications the servers were in sync. All the replication
threads were running and the row counts were identical, but the data in
the rows was sometimes different. I asked about this in the list and the
answers I got back were that the phenomenon was called row drift and was
fairly well known and not always easy (or sometimes even possible) to
eliminate because of bad programming practices in some off-the-shelf
applications. At that time, the consensus in the list was that it was
not safe to trust replication slaves for backup purposes. That's when I
came up with the idea of doing an rsync every night, which creates a
slave that is 100% reliable for using as a backup source and also
eliminates problems with row-drift. Since we started using that
technique, we don't get calls from users complaining that their reports
are showing bogus totals and such.

Disclaimer - January 25, 2011
This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for
Mattia Merzi,Reindl Harald,mysql@stripped. If you are not the named addressee you
should not disseminate, distribute, copy or alter this email. Any views or opinions
presented in this email are solely those of the author and might not represent those of
Physicians' Managed Care or Physician Select Management. Warning: Although Physicians'
Managed Care or Physician Select Management has taken reasonable precautions to ensure no
viruses are present in this email, the company cannot accept responsibility for any loss
or damage arising from the use of this email or attachments.
Slow query on MySQL4 server doing simple inner join of two InnoDB tablesKendall Gifford21 Jan
  • Re: Slow query on MySQL4 server doing simple inner join of two InnoDBtablesReindl Harald21 Jan
  • Re: Slow query on MySQL4 server doing simple inner join of two InnoDBtablesMySQL)21 Jan
    • Re: Slow query on MySQL4 server doing simple inner join of two InnoDB tablesKendall Gifford21 Jan
    • Re: Slow query on MySQL4 server doing simple inner join of two InnoDBtablesJoerg Bruehe24 Jan
      • Re: Slow query on MySQL4 server doing simple inner join of two InnoDB tablesKendall Gifford24 Jan
        • Re: Slow query on MySQL4 server doing simple inner join of two InnoDB tablesKendall Gifford24 Jan
          • RE: Slow query on MySQL4 server doing simple inner join of twoInnoDB tablesGavin Towey25 Jan
            • Re: Slow query on MySQL4 server doing simple inner join of two InnoDB tablesKendall Gifford25 Jan
  • InnoDB and rsyncEric Robinson25 Jan
    • Re: InnoDB and rsyncJohan De Meersman25 Jan
    • Re: InnoDB and rsyncReindl Harald25 Jan
  • RE: InnoDB and rsyncEric Robinson25 Jan
    • Re: InnoDB and rsyncMattia Merzi25 Jan
    • Re: InnoDB and rsyncJohan De Meersman25 Jan
    • Re: InnoDB and rsyncReindl Harald25 Jan
      • Re: InnoDB and rsyncJohan De Meersman25 Jan
        • Re: InnoDB and rsyncReindl Harald25 Jan
        • RE: InnoDB and rsyncJerry Schwartz25 Jan
    • Re: InnoDB and rsyncSteve Musumeche25 Jan
    • Re: InnoDB and rsyncMySQL)26 Jan
  • RE: InnoDB and rsyncEric Robinson25 Jan
  • RE: InnoDB and rsyncEric Robinson25 Jan
    • Re: InnoDB and rsyncMySQL)26 Jan
  • RE: InnoDB and rsyncEric Robinson25 Jan
    • Re: InnoDB and rsyncReindl Harald25 Jan
  • RE: InnoDB and rsyncEric Robinson25 Jan
    • Re: InnoDB and rsyncReindl Harald25 Jan
  • RE: InnoDB and rsyncEric Robinson25 Jan
  • RE: InnoDB and rsyncEric Robinson26 Jan
  • RE: InnoDB and rsyncEric Robinson26 Jan
  • RE: InnoDB and rsyncEric Robinson26 Jan
    • Re: InnoDB and rsyncJohan De Meersman26 Jan
  • RE: InnoDB and rsyncEric Robinson26 Jan
  • RE: InnoDB and rsyncEric Robinson28 Jan
    • Re: InnoDB and rsyncMichael Dykman28 Jan
    • Re: InnoDB and rsyncReindl Harald28 Jan
  • RE: InnoDB and rsyncEric Robinson28 Jan
  • RE: InnoDB and rsyncEric Robinson28 Jan
    • Re: InnoDB and rsyncReindl Harald28 Jan
  • RE: InnoDB and rsyncEric Robinson28 Jan
    • Re: InnoDB and rsyncEric Bergen1 Feb