List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Johan De Meersman Date:January 25 2011 6:02am
Subject:Re: InnoDB and rsync
View as plain text
I suspect the same trick might work with InnoDB (with pretty much the same
caveats), but you'd be best off setting innodb-file-per-table - I'm sure
you've already seen that the large datafiles are a hindrance to smooth
rsyncing :-)

Make sure to test extensively, though.

On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 5:37 AM, Robinson, Eric <eric.robinson@stripped>wrote:

> [...]
>
> Right now we have a very efficient and reliable way to backup 240+
> separate instances of MySQL with MyISAM tables. The databases range in
> size from .5GB to 16GB. During this time, users can still access the
> system, so our customers can work 24x7. In the process, we also refresh
> 240+ slave instances with a perfect byte-for-byte replica of the master
> databases.
>
> The whole thing takes about 30 minutes.
>
> Here's how we do it.
>
> Late at night when the number of users on the system is low, we do the
> following for each of the 240+ instances of MySQL...
>
> 1. Shut down the slave and remove all replication-related log files.
>
> 2. Perform an rsync of the master's data directory to the slave. Users
> may be making changes to tables during this rsync.
>
> 3. Issue a FLUSH TABLES WITH READ LOCK on the master followed by a RESET
> MASTER.
>
> 4. Perform a second rsync of the data directory from the master to the
> slave to copy any user changes that happened during step 2. This usually
> completes in a few seconds, often less than 1. If any users were trying
> to insert records at this exact moment, their application may appear to
> pause very briefly.
>
> 5. Start the slave.
>
> When I'm all done, I have 240+ slave servers in perfect sync with their
> masters, each having a 100% identical binary copy of its master's
> database. Since these copies are truly identical, they can be used for a
> second layer of backup to other media.
>
> Like I said, the whole process takes about 30 minutes because the rsync
> algorithm only copies the byte-level changes.
>
> IS THERE ANY WAY TO SET UP SOMETHING THIS EASY AND EFFICIENT USING
> INNODB?
>
> I've been reading about InnoDB hot copy and other approaches, but none
> of them seem to work as well as the approach I have worked out with
> MyISAM. Unfortunately, my software wants to force us to switch to
> InnoDB, so I'm really stuck. If we have to switch to InnoDB and we
> cannot come up with a method for doing fast, rsync-style backups, it
> will probably mean huge, costly, and unnecessary changes to our
> infrastructure.
>
> Any help will be GREATLY appreciated.
>
> --
> Eric Robinson
>

> Disclaimer - January 24, 2011
> solely for mysql@stripped. If you are not the named addressee you
> should not disseminate, distribute, copy or alter this email. Any views or
> opinions presented in this email are solely those of the author and might
> not represent those of Physicians' Managed Care or Physician Select
> Management. Warning: Although Physicians' Managed Care or Physician Select
> Management has taken reasonable precautions to ensure no viruses are present
> in this email, the company cannot accept responsibility for any loss or
> damage arising from the use of this email or attachments.

Bier met grenadyn
Is als mosterd by den wyn
Sy die't drinkt, is eene kwezel
Hy die't drinkt, is ras een ezel

Thread
Slow query on MySQL4 server doing simple inner join of two InnoDB tablesKendall Gifford21 Jan
  • Re: Slow query on MySQL4 server doing simple inner join of two InnoDBtablesReindl Harald21 Jan
  • Re: Slow query on MySQL4 server doing simple inner join of two InnoDBtablesMySQL)21 Jan
    • Re: Slow query on MySQL4 server doing simple inner join of two InnoDB tablesKendall Gifford21 Jan
    • Re: Slow query on MySQL4 server doing simple inner join of two InnoDBtablesJoerg Bruehe24 Jan
      • Re: Slow query on MySQL4 server doing simple inner join of two InnoDB tablesKendall Gifford24 Jan
        • Re: Slow query on MySQL4 server doing simple inner join of two InnoDB tablesKendall Gifford24 Jan
          • RE: Slow query on MySQL4 server doing simple inner join of twoInnoDB tablesGavin Towey25 Jan
            • Re: Slow query on MySQL4 server doing simple inner join of two InnoDB tablesKendall Gifford25 Jan
  • InnoDB and rsyncEric Robinson25 Jan
    • Re: InnoDB and rsyncJohan De Meersman25 Jan
    • Re: InnoDB and rsyncReindl Harald25 Jan
  • RE: InnoDB and rsyncEric Robinson25 Jan
    • Re: InnoDB and rsyncMattia Merzi25 Jan
    • Re: InnoDB and rsyncJohan De Meersman25 Jan
    • Re: InnoDB and rsyncReindl Harald25 Jan
      • Re: InnoDB and rsyncJohan De Meersman25 Jan
        • Re: InnoDB and rsyncReindl Harald25 Jan
        • RE: InnoDB and rsyncJerry Schwartz25 Jan
    • Re: InnoDB and rsyncSteve Musumeche25 Jan
    • Re: InnoDB and rsyncMySQL)26 Jan
  • RE: InnoDB and rsyncEric Robinson25 Jan
  • RE: InnoDB and rsyncEric Robinson25 Jan
    • Re: InnoDB and rsyncMySQL)26 Jan
  • RE: InnoDB and rsyncEric Robinson25 Jan
    • Re: InnoDB and rsyncReindl Harald25 Jan
  • RE: InnoDB and rsyncEric Robinson25 Jan
    • Re: InnoDB and rsyncReindl Harald25 Jan
  • RE: InnoDB and rsyncEric Robinson25 Jan
  • RE: InnoDB and rsyncEric Robinson26 Jan
  • RE: InnoDB and rsyncEric Robinson26 Jan
  • RE: InnoDB and rsyncEric Robinson26 Jan
    • Re: InnoDB and rsyncJohan De Meersman26 Jan
  • RE: InnoDB and rsyncEric Robinson26 Jan
  • RE: InnoDB and rsyncEric Robinson28 Jan
    • Re: InnoDB and rsyncMichael Dykman28 Jan
    • Re: InnoDB and rsyncReindl Harald28 Jan
  • RE: InnoDB and rsyncEric Robinson28 Jan
  • RE: InnoDB and rsyncEric Robinson28 Jan
    • Re: InnoDB and rsyncReindl Harald28 Jan
  • RE: InnoDB and rsyncEric Robinson28 Jan
    • Re: InnoDB and rsyncEric Bergen1 Feb