List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Eric Bergen Date:January 22 2011 5:18pm
Subject:Re: Is is possible to update a column based on a REGEXP on another column?
View as plain text
There isn't a built in way but you can try http://www.mysqludf.org/lib_mysqludf_preg/

I would go with the php/perl script if this is a one time thing.

-Eric

On Jan 21, 2011, at 11:31 AM, Phil <pchapman@stripped> wrote:

> I have a table which contains a username column which may be constructed
> something like
>
> somename[AAAAA] or [BBBBCCCCDDD]someothername
>
> The AAAAA or BBBBCCCCDDD can be anything at all.
>
> I've added a new column to the table to which I'd like to populate with the
> value within the square brackets.
>
> I could write something in perl or php to run through each and update them
> but was wondering if there is a way to do this within mysql itself?  The
> regexp only returns a boolean so I can't see how to use that.
>
> Regards
>
> Phil
>

> --
> Distributed Computing stats
> http://stats.free-dc.org
Thread
Is is possible to update a column based on a REGEXP on another column?Phil21 Jan
  • Re: Is is possible to update a column based on a REGEXP on another column?Eric Bergen22 Jan
    • Re: Is is possible to update a column based on a REGEXP on another column?Johan De Meersman24 Jan